Jenny Lake Update: What to Expect this Summer
The summer of the National Park Service centennial will mark the third year of construction for Inspiring Journeys: A Campaign for Jenny Lake—our gift to Grand Teton National Park in celebration of this historic milestone. This summer it will be increasingly obvious that construction is underway at Jenny Lake. Frontcountry improvements will include new water and wastewater infrastructure, which began last fall and will continue through early summer. Landscape and hardscape work has begun in the central plaza area. Backcountry work will focus on Hidden Falls and the South Cascade Creek trail, both of which will be closed for the season. Visitors will not be able to hike to Hidden Falls this summer. Improvements to the West Boat Dock will begin in the fall after the busy summer season.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
New and Improved and ALMOST Open!
• The newest of the restored trails (between Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point) will open to the public in early summer. There are two new bridges and beautiful stone retaining walls and steps.
• The ranger station, temporary visitor center, general store, Jenny Lake Boating, Exum Mountain Guides, multiuse pathway, and the Jenny Lake Campground will be open.
Closures and Reroutes
• Areas in and around the visitor plaza are closed as crews rebuild asphalt trails and construct restrooms, lake overlooks, and drystone walls.
• The trail south of Cascade Creek will be closed and rerouted as it is reconstructed.
• Hidden Falls will be closed for the busy season. Crews are creating a sustainable viewing space and restoring damaged areas.
• A temporary visitor center and restrooms will be located in the north parking lot.
• A portion of the south parking lot is being used for construction staging. RVs will not be able to park in this section.
For the most up-to-date information on closures and access at Jenny Lake, please stop by a park visitor center or ask a ranger. We appreciate everyone’s patience during this time of renewal and are delighted to share that all work will be complete before the 2018 summer season. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter —we will post project updates throughout the summer!
Previous post: VIDEO: Research Protects Grand Teton’s Wildlife
Next post: Stephen P. Adamson, Jr. Outdoor Fund 2016 Scholarship Recipients
- Youth Conservation Program (66)
- Videos (54)
- Wildlife Whereabouts (50)
- Wildlife (39)
- Adventure Journal (39)
- Jenny Lake (23)
- Inspiring Journeys Campaign (22)
- Volunteer (16)
- In the Spotlight (14)
- Trail Talk 2014 (12)
- Events (12)
- Trail Talk 2016 (12)
- NPS Academy (11)
- Trail Talk 2015 (11)
- Trail Talk 2017 (11)
- Pura Vida (10)
- Ways to Give (10)
- Trail Talk 2018 (9)
- My Park My Story (8)
- Trail Talk 2019 (7)
- Historic Preservation (6)
- Field Notes from Steve Cain (6)
- GTNPF Media (5)
- Celebrating the Centennial (4)
- On the Beaten Path (4)
- Mountains to Main Street (3)
- Tribal Youth Corps (3)
- Cultural Resources (3)
- Jenny Lake Renewal Project (3)
- Youth Engagement (3)
- Visitor Experiences (3)
- Wildlife and Natural Resources (3)
- Antelope Flats (3)
- Video (2)
- 20th Anniversary (1)
- Hammer Corps (1)
- Park News (1)
- Trails (1)
- Technology (1)
- Moulton Ranch Cabins (1)